Saturday, December 24, 2005

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Otherwise known as orgasm on a plate - this is a classic English dessert. I discovered it when I lived in Australia as it is served in just about every restaurant in the country. When the cake lady would drop this off to the cafe where I worked in Manly Beach, we would attack this stuff like rabid dogs. I've often said you could pour the sauce over an old shoe and you would eat it with glee.

Took me long enough to post a recipe on here. Being a former chef and all, I expected more from me. I should have posted this in time for Christmas. Oh well, try it for New Year's! Pictures are included!


The Pudding
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs

1 and 1/2 cups self rising flour
or
1 and 1/2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda

The Toffee Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter

Method
Preheat oven to 350°. Pour the water over dates in a saucepan and let stand. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Gently fold in the flour. Add the dates (water included).

Lick me!





Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 7" square or round cake pan. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.

How cute are these
Admire new UGGs while pudding is in the oven.






Remove pudding from oven and set aside. Puddin!!!






To make toffee sauce, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Remove from heat.

Mmmmmmm good











Cut pudding into squares and place each square in the center of a warm plate. Pour hot toffee sauce over each serving and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.


Orgasm on a plate

Enjoy your orgasm puddin'!

11 comments:

JillWrites said...

Oh my God, I love you!

Dan-E said...

hehehehe you said "self-rising"

Scarlet Hip said...

I love you too Jill!

Dan - you'll be self-rising when you have some of this stuff.

Fella said...

Puddding!!!


That's right, I used three d's.

jiggs said...

If I was the type that flirted with women on the internte, I would say that you're feet looked cute in those uggs. thankfully I'm not and thus I don't need to embarass myself in that way.

egan said...

oh oh oh yeahhhh... that looks freaking good. Thanks for the recipe of love.

ChickyBabe said...

One of my favourite winter desserts... just can't get enough of that yummy toffee sauce. Mmm... another thing we have in common!! :)

yournamehere said...

Enjoy your orgasm, puddin'!

Anonymous said...

I lived in Sydney for a few years and definitely got into the sticky pudding scene (of all varieties). If I cooked, I might even make this one...but I don't!

BamaGirl said...

Did you think the food was good in Australia? My cousin's been living there for a year and a half and she says everything tastes like slop. She's actually living in New Zealand now, which she says is even worse. That shatters my image of Aus! By the way, the pudding sounds pretty good except for the pudding part. I can't get into that--too British or something. The sauce sounds good.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that, in comparison to Sydney, in the UK they actually DO use old shoes for this (such a disappointment). But then that's true of almost all the food in the UK (OK, they do great pastry, but thats it)