Monday, March 27, 2006

What Do You Make?

This is in response to Neil's most recent post on the famous Citizen of the Month bolo. Yes, I said bolo. You can ask Neil about that when you go to his place to give him a good smackdown. Neil is quite the comedian and gifted writer, so I am going to forgive his abuse of teachers as I know he is only looking to entertain his many readers. However, I am still not going to sleep with him, even though I did miss his birthday. Let that be a lesson to you, Neil.

I received this in an email not long ago. I was hoping for a good time to post it. So thank you for that, Neilochka!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers -
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence. I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor."

"You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English. I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

Susan paused and then continued. "You want to know what I make? 'I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.' What do you make?"

Teachers make every other profession possible.

34 comments:

Thérèse said...

It's true. Teachers do make every other profession possible. And there are a million different kinds.

I was raised to have immense respect for teachers.

Of course, I was also raised by two teachers, and come from a family consisting almost solely of teachers, but that is not the point.

Unknown said...

I heart teachers so much I married one. It's 50 hours a week of nearly thankless struggle but at least the output is meaningful unlike the crap software I produce for empty headed nincompoops who should have paid more attention to their teachers.

You got my thanks, babe.

Dagny said...

Brooke, thank your for posting that email. I have received that one in the past. I come from a family of teachers. My best friend is a teacher. And about five years ago, I decided to become a teacher myself.

mernitman said...

My mom taught kindergarten for 26 years. I had NO IDEA how hard that had to be (being a kid myself for most of that time) and these days, when I look at her (she survived, bless her heart), I'm in awe. Most excellent posting.

dizzy von damn! said...

teachers are totally bad assed.

Knitty Kitty said...

I love you, TT.
Thats the kind of fabulousness I must steal and send all my non-blogger friends.

babyjewels said...

Great post brooke. My dad was a teacher and I have a lot of respect for the profession. It certainly isn't easy.

Ubermilf said...

I make cupcakes.

jungle jane said...

holy smoke i am SO glad i was never in your class. I see no mention of carving grafitti in desks, pulling other children's hair and smoking cigarettes in the toilet.

There is still time, Brooke - amend your curriculum now and your little ones will grow up just like me!

Scarlet Hip said...

Neil - it's going to take a lot more ass-kissing than that.

Therese - it's true it's true!

PEZ - I heart you too.

JJ - but you love me too right? Being your girlfriend and all.

Dagny - I have so much cool teacher/blogger buddies now I may have to make a new blogroll just for them. I'll be sure to come by your place.

Mernit - 26 years in kindergarten...that takes a special kind of woman. Show her this!

Miss K - I do have a very bad ass.

TT - please do. I love it when you steal from me.

BabyJ - it certainly isn't. But today I reached into my pocket and found a little piece of paper. It read, "I love you Ms Rose." Find another job where you get that sort of benefit.

Jane - if you were doing these sorts of things in first grade then that explains a lot about the woman you are now. Which, by the way, is awesome.

jiggs said...

so you're saying that there is still a chance that you'll sleep with me?

kris said...

You are so kick ass it hurts.

Sizzle said...

well said!

and now here comes the guilt of never becoming a teacher- sorry grandma! i tried!

Scarlet Hip said...

Jiggs - was there ever any doubt?

Kris - I would never hurt you. Ever.

Sizz - it's never too late...look at me!

yournamehere said...

If I say nice things about teachers and all that, can I at least cop a cheap feel if we ever meet?

By the way, you PROMISED six months ago you'd visit me, and so far nothing. Nothing, I tell you.

JillWrites said...

You said it, girlie.

Spinning Girl said...

Yeah!

Princess LadyBug said...

Brooke, you ROCK! So much so that I'm surprised there was only one note in your pocket. I would have bet there would be hundreds.

Megan said...

Damn, I should read that one to my students. I may teach adults, but they are just as insecure as children in their desire to learn. We really are lucky to be teachers, aren't we? Fantastic post.

(I liked it almost as much as I liked the one about you watching the man shower outside...while you were naked. That's still about my all time favorite post of anyone!)

GrandPooOfAwesome said...

clap, clap, clap.

sweet.

Modigliani said...

You tell 'em Brooke! Great story there!

Anonymous said...

Kickass post.

Gnomey G said...

Yes and double yes. I would love to be the one to compose and give such a great speech. Of course, I am not invited to many dinner parties.

Mone said...

If a teacher is so honest the respect will be there!
I'ts hard work, but with love its easy to do.

Brandon said...

pfft. when i was in middle school, not ONE teacher tried to have my baby. i've had no respect ever since.

Bill said...

Good answer.

Tumbleweed said...

Teachers are the coolest! Go ahead and sleep with him. Just don't stay the night or ever call him again!

flounder said...

I don't remember shit about most people that I met when I was younger, but I'll always remember my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Pebbler, telling me that "knowledge is power".

Of course I had Mr. O'Keefe for Physics in HS and didn't learn a damn thing. Same goes with Mrs Cash in English Class.

Teachers are a crapshoot for each kid. Some connect, some don't. But the fact that I didn't connect with teacher "A" doesn't mean that little Sally didn't.

Love ya Ms Wose.

jiggs said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Ubermilf said...

somebody had to teach the bra-maker to make bras.

Maddie said...

I think Neil is looking for a spankin'!

Johnny Pipewrench said...

I make water hot.

Anonymous said...

Wow--this was so great. What do I make? I make squat compared to you teachers. :)

Jessica Harwood said...

well put!